About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Week 20: When my words were... Poetry!

I cannot believe this is our final week together at Castellanos. The students have been amazing, and have improved immensely. I am so impressed with the work they have done, and today is no exception. The poem this week was suggested to me by another poet-in-residence, Rachel Javellana. The poem is Psalm 3, by Mahmoud Darwish. The students took variance of Darwish's form and lets us know what their words are all about:

From Ms. Gonzalez's Class:

Poem of Mine
by Daniel B.

When my words were woods
I was lonely

When my words were annoyed
I was a statue

When my words were happy
I was a party

When my words were titled
I was a drawing

When my words were sore
I was a bat

But when my words became
little...
Ants came
and covered me...

When
by Sara B.

When my words were Ms. Sampson
I was happy

When my words were excited
I was a country

When my words were school
I was worried

When my words were paint
I was a brush

When my words were writing
I was poetry

When my words were books
I was reading

But when my words became
sad...
tears covered
my face!

When
by Stephanie A.

When my words were Miami
I was sizzling

When my words were exhausted
I was reckless

When my words were excited
I was unstoppable

When my words were loving
I was too sweet

When my words were hatred
I was impossible!

But when my words were too
caring...
I was a giving tree.

From Ms. Formisano's Class:

When
by Kevin L.

When my words were slow
I was Japan

When my words were broken
I was a wall

When my words were quiet
I was a door

When my words were rough
I was running

When my words were loyal
I was the floor

But when my words become
loud...
I was the ocean

When
by Nailha S.

When my words were flames
I was the darkness

When my words were fear
I was impossible

When my words were orange
I was the graveyard

When my words were depressed
I was a roller coaster

When my words were life
I was a bird without wings

But when my words were dead
I was the world
Without love!

When
by Esmeralda Q.

When my words were stars
I was brilliant

When my words were Jupiter
I was far

When my words were heart
I was love

When my words were the sun
I was shining

When my words were the moon
I was day

But when my words are comets
My love
was fast

From Mr. Lukas's Class:

I became...
by Andrew Y.

When my words were dark
I was thinking

When my words were famous
I was stuck

When my words were silent
I was in the center

When my words were cold
I was lonely

When my words were green
I was feeling blue

But when my words became
warm...
I became crowded.


My Mind
by Asucena L.

When my words were waterfall
I was a lion

When my words were pink
I was loved

When my word was fun
I was exhausted

When my word was school
I was stressed

When my word was drama
I was famous

But when my words became
love...
hatred floated in my mind...

My Own
by Heriberto

When my words were Chicago
I was windy

When my words were red
I was annoyed

When words were plain
I was boring

When my words were black
I was the sky

When my words were anger
I was a fire

But when my words became
lost
I was gone.

No comments: